This page lists the borrowing policies for items at the Dentistry Library. To borrow any item an active TCard is required.
Obtaining a TCard
Anyone with a valid University of Toronto library card (TCard) can borrow items from the Dentistry Library. Students, staff and faculty received a TCard upon joining the UofT community. If you are not affiliated with the University of Toronto, but wish to borrow books, you may use your local library for an interlibrary loan, or you may be interested and eligible to purchase a library card.
For details on Fines, please check the UofT Libraries borrowing policies page under Fines. PLEASE NOTE: We do not have a point of sale at the Dentistry Library and hence cannot accept payments at our location. Fines accrued on dentistry books can be paid by logging in to LibrarySearch using an active UTORID and password or Library Barcode and password. Options for payment via LibrarySearch include credit or debit.
Regular items, like books, will be renewed automatically. You will not have to login or call to renew an item. If you cannot renew an item it has been recalled, which means, someone else wants to borrow it. In this case, you have to return it to the library before the due date. Journals and Course Reserves cannot be renewed.
You can renew items online using my Account.
Course Reserves at the Dentistry Library can be checked out for 24 hours. This means that the item will be due back before the library closes on the following business day after it is checked out. Exception: Please note, because of the way our 24-hour policy rule is set up, if you check the book out on a Friday or before another closure, it will be due back the following business day that we are open at 8:30 am (if you borrow it on a regular Friday it will be due back Monday at 8:30 am). The Dentistry Library reserves the right to limit the number of Course Reserves borrowed.
If a book that you would like to borrow is currently on loan, you can place a hold on it. The current borrower will not be able to renew the item, but can keep it until the due date. When the item is returned, you will receive an email prompting you to pick up the item at the home library of the book.
Materials which cannot be borrowed
The following items are noncirculating (i.e., they can be used in the library only):
- items marked "reference"
- rare books
- vertical files
Phone and Tablet chargers are available for loan at the Service Desk. Please note that these are restricted to Dentistry students, faculty and staff with a valid TCard. They can be borrowed for a 5-hour period. If they are signed out less than five hours before the library closes, they are due back at 15 minutes before closing time. For example, if closing time is at 8:30 pm and they are signed out at 7:00 pm, they will be due back at the desk at 8:15 pm. This provides enough time for our staff to store the item safely with the other equipment before closing time. Fines are 50 cents per hour.
We have power adapters and cables that can charge the following devices:
- MacBooks with USB-C ports
- MacBooks with MagSafe
- Microsoft Surface
- iPhones with Lightning port
- iPads with Lightning port and USB-C port
- Android phones with micro-USB port
- Android phones with USB-C port
The following items are available for loan:
- Fone Saver: this is a portable charger with both mini-USB and lightning attachments
Cables and Adapters
- Apple USB-C to USB-C cable
- PrimeCables Lightning Cable: this is compatible with iPod, iPhone and iPad
- PrimeCables Hi-Speed Micro USB 2.0 Charging/Sync Cable with Nylon Braided Protection
- Digital Daffodil TC03: variety of smart phone and mobile devices
- MacBook Pro 85W power cord
- MacBook Air 45W power cord
- PC Laptops (various types)
- Microsoft Surface power cord
- Apple USB-C to USB adapter
- PrimeCables 7-in-1 USB-C adapter
- Apple 96W Charger and USB-C Charge Cable
- Anker PowerPort 2.0 Wall Charger USB-C
- Anker PowerPort 1.0 Wall Charger USB-C
- Anker PowerPort 1.0 Wall Charger USB-C + 6 FT USB to USB-C Cable
- PrimeCables 2.4 Dual USB Smart Wall Charger
- RavPower Bolt 4-Port Smart Wall Charger
We currently have one iPad Pro available to borrow on a 4-hour loan. Before borrowing you will be asked to read the circulation policy carefully and agree to its terms. Only Faculty of Dentistry students, staff and faculty with an active TCard may borrow the iPad after signing a special agreement available at the Service Desk. The following collection related apps are installed on the iPad and available to use:
- UofT Dental Radiology: Setup My FMS
- CDA Oasis
- DynaMed Plus
- EBSCO Ebooks
- eHuman Digital Anatomy. Tooth Atlas 8
- eHuman Digital Anatomy. Occlusion Atlas 3
- eHuman Digital Anatomy. Modern Practice in Removable Partial Dentures: A 3D Evidence-based visual program.
We currently have one Dell Laptop available to borrow on a 5-hour loan. Before borrowing you will be asked to read the circulation policy carefully and agree to its terms. Only Faculty of Dentistry students, staff and faculty with an active TCard may borrow the Laptop after signing a special agreement available at the Service Desk.