Due to the urgent need for evidence to support clinical decision-making and health policy, the way that biomedical research is conducted and disseminated during a pandemic is different than under normal circumstances.
Key Evidence for Dental Practitioners in Canada
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2022). Healthcare workers information on COVID19.
- College of Dental Hygienists of Ontario (2022). COVID19 Update: Joint Statement from the Oral Health Professions Regulators
- College of Denturists of Ontario (2022). COVID19 Updates and Resources
- Chief Dental Officer of Canada (2021). Evidence to support safe return to clinical practice by oral health professionals in Canada during the COVID-19 pandemic: A report prepared for the Office of the Chief Dental Officer of Canada.
- Canadian Dental Association (2021) CDA Regular COVID19 Updates: In this Together
- Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. COVID19 Guidance for health sector
- Public Health Ontario (2021). Dental Practice and COVID-19.
- Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario (2022). Information on Covid 19: Novel Coronavirus.
Publications from Faculty of Dentistry Researchers
- Ali S, Tauqir S, Farooqi FA, Al-Jandan B, Al-Janobi H, Alshehry S, Abdelhady AI, Farooq I. Psychological Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Students, Assistants, and Faculty of a Dental Institute of Saudi Arabia. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2021 Dec 19;18(24):13366. https://doi-org/10.3390/ijerph182413366. PMID: 34948975.
- Chanpong, B., Tang, M., Rosenczweig, A., Lok, P., & Tang, R. (2020). Aerosol-Generating Procedures and Simulated Cough in Dental Anesthesia. Anesthesia Progress, 67(3), 127–134. https://doi-org/10.2344/anpr-67-03-04
- Hamad HA, Sunni ZA, AlMohsin F, AlMaimouni Y, Khabeer A, Nazir MA, Farooq I. An Assessment of Various Challenges Perceived by Dental Students amidst the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Digital Questionnaire Study. Behav Sci (Basel). 2022 Feb 4;12(2):36.https://doi.org/10.3390/bs12020036. PMID: 35200287.
- Kaur H, Gupta H, Dadlani H, Kochhar GK, Singh G, Bhasin R, Kochhar AS, Alam MK. Delaying Intraoral Radiographs during the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Conundrum. Biomed Res Int. 2022 Jan 12;2022:8432856. https://doi.org/10.1155/2022/8432856. PMC8753251.
- Kochhar, A. S., Bhasin, R., Kochhar, G. K., & Dadlani, H. (2020). Provision of continuous dental care for oral oncology patients during & after COVID-19 pandemic. Oral Oncology 106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2020.104785
- Kochhar, A. S., Bhasin, R., Kochhar, G. K., & Dadlani, H. (2020). Diagnostic tests for SARS-CoV-2: Implications in head and neck oncology. Oral Oncology 107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2020.104813
- Kochhar, A. S., Bhasin, R., Kochhar, G. K., & Dadlani, H. (2020). COVID-19 pandemic and dental practice. International Journal of Dentistry, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/8894794
- Kochhar, A. S., Bhasin, R., Kochhar, G. K., Dadlani, H., Mehta, V. V., Kaur, R., & Bhasin, C. K. (2020). Lockdown of 1.3 billion people in India during Covid-19 pandemic: A survey of its impact on mental health. Asian J Psychiatr, 54, 102213. doi:10.1016/j.ajp.2020.102213
- Kochhar, A. S., Bhasin, R., Kochhar, G. K., Dadlani, H., Thakkar, B., & Singh, G. (2020). Dentistry during and after COVID-19 Pandemic: Pediatric Considerations. Int J Clin Pediatr Dent, 13(4), 399-406. doi:10.5005/jp-journals-10005-1782
- Lam S, Lombardi A, Ouanounou A. (2020). COVID-19: A review of the proposed pharmacological treatments. European Journal of Pharmacology 886. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2020.173451
- Macdonald LK, Glogauer M, Allison P, Quiñonez C, Madathil S, Rock LD. Canadian dental hygienists' experiences and perceptions of regulatory guidelines during the COVID-19 pandemic: a qualitative descriptive analysis. BMC Health Serv Res. 2022 Dec 22;22(1):1570. doi: 10.1186/s12913-022-08925-z. PMID: 36550441; PMCID: PMC9773656.
- Oldfield PR, Hibberd J, Bridle BW. How Does Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome-Coronavirus-2 Affect the Brain and Its Implications for the Vaccines Currently in Use. Vaccines (Basel). 2021 Dec 21;10(1):1. https://doi.org/10.3390/vaccines10010001. PMID: 35062662.
- Perry J, Osman S, Wright J, Richard-Greenblatt M, Buchan SA, Sadarangani M, Bolotin S. Does a humoral correlate of protection exist for SARS-CoV-2? A systematic review. PLoS One. 2022 Apr 8;17(4):e0266852. .https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0266852. PMID: 35395052.
- Prado CAS, Fonseca DLM, Singh Y, Filgueiras IS, Baiocchi GC, Plaça DR, Marques AHC, Dantas-Komatsu RCS, Usuda JN, Freire PP, Salgado RC, Napoleao SMDS, Ramos RN, Rocha V, Zhou G, Catar R, Moll G, Camara NOS, Miranda GC, Calich VLG, Giil LM, Mishra N, Tran F, Luchessi AD, Nakaya HI, Ochs HD, Jurisica I, Schimke LF, Cabral-Marques O. Integrative systems immunology uncovers molecular networks of the cell cycle that stratify COVID-19 severity. J Med Virol. 2023 Jan 4. doi: 10.1002/jmv.28450. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36597912.
- Quiñonez C, Vujicic M. COVID-19 has clarified 2 foundational policy questions in dentistry. JDR Clinical & Translational Research 5(4).https://doi.org/10.1177/2380084420941777
- Rock LD, Madathil S, Khanna M, Macdonald LK, Quiñonez C, Glogauer M, Allison P. COVID-19 incidence and vaccination rates among Canadian dental hygienists. Can J Dent Hyg. 2022 Oct 1;56(3):123-130. PMID: 36451991; PMCID: PMC9674005.
- Schimke LF, Marques AHC, Baiocchi GC, de Souza Prado CA, Fonseca DLM, Freire PP, Rodrigues Plaça D, Salerno Filgueiras I, Coelho Salgado R, Jansen-Marques G, Rocha Oliveira AE, Peron JPS, Cabral-Miranda G, Barbuto JAM, Camara NOS, Calich VLG, Ochs HD, Condino-Neto A, Overmyer KA, Coon JJ, Balnis J, Jaitovich A, Schulte-Schrepping J, Ulas T, Schultze JL, Nakaya HI, Jurisica I, Cabral-Marques O. Severe COVID-19 Shares a Common Neutrophil Activation Signature with Other Acute Inflammatory States. Cells. 2022 Mar 1;11(5):847. https://doi.org/10.3390/cells11050847.
- Singhal S, Farmer J, Quiñonez C. Commentary: Changes in Oral Health Policies and Guidelines During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Front Oral Health. 2021 Jul 8;2:718538. doi: 10.3389/froh.2021.718538. PMID: 35048044
- Suri, S., Vandersluis, Y. R., Kochhar, A. S., et al. (2020). Clinical orthodontic management during the COVID-19 pandemic. Angle Orthodontist. https://doi.org/10.2319/033120-236.1
- Wong M. Self-scheduler for dental students booking consultations with faculty during the COVID-19 pandemic. J Dent Educ. 2021 Dec;85 Suppl 3(Suppl 3):1984-1985. https://doi.org/10.1002/jdd.12642. Epub 2021 May 13. PMID: 33964012.
Databases, Expert Searches and Literature Collections
- Journal of American Dental Association COVID-19 Evidence Collection
The Journal of the American Dental Association (JADA) has compiled a list of articles they've published on topics relevant to dentistry and COVID-19, including spatter reduction, prevention of aerosol contamination and other infection control precautions.
- Evidence Based Dentistry (EBD) COVID-19 Special Issue
The most recent issue of EBD attempts to analyse all the best evidence about Covid-19, its effects on dental patients and practice. Containing over a dozen evidence syntheses, this is a great way to stay up to date on the relevant research that has been published since the start of the pandemic.
- PubMed Articles Relevant to COVID-19 in Dentistry
A curated list of PubMed articles relevant to COVID-19 in dentistry. The list is updated around 9 AM daily and was developed by our colleague Natalie Clairoux, Dentistry Librarian at the Université de Montréal.
- McMaster Forum Guide to COVID-19 Evidence Sources
Developed and maintained by the McMaster Forum and its partners at the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, this succinct list of COVID-19 evidence sources is intended to help health- and social-system leaders as they respond to unprecedented challenges related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- WHO Database of Global Research on Coronavirus
Database of the latest scientific findings and knowledge on COVID-19 from the World Health Organization, updated daily.
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
The latest research information on COVID-19 from the NIH.
- PubMed COVID19 Article Filters
Expert search filters for COVID19 that you can apply to your PubMed search
A curated literature hub for tracking up-to-date scientific information about the 2019 novel Coronavirus from the National Library of Medicine (NLM).
- Disaster Lit COVID-19 Database Search
A curated search of the NLM's database of links to disaster medicine and public health documents available for free on the internet.
Resources & Guides
- ADA Coronavirus Center for Dentists
Stay up to date on the latest recommendations for your professional practice with evidence-based resources and clinical practice guidelines from the American Dental Association.
- Royal College of Dental Surgeons COVID-19 Guidelines
- Centre for Disease Control and Prevention's Guidance for Dental Settings
Interim Infection Prevention and Control Guidance for Dental Settings During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic
- Cochrane Resources and News - Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Highlights content related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and various related activities Cochrane is undertaking in response.
- Cochrane Oral Health's COVID-19 Resources for the Oral and Dental Care Team
Information and guidance from international professional dental bodies collected by Cochrane Oral Health.
- FDI World Dental Federation COVID-19 Resource Library
This library contains guidance for oral health professionals and other resources relating to the COVID-19 pandemic issued by national and international bodies.
- International Association for Dental Research (IADR) COVID-19 Updates & Resources
The IADR's COVID-19 updates and resources services includes links to relevant publications, funding opportunities, and other resources.
- Ovid's COVID-19 Tools and Resources for Clinicans
COVID-19 resources for front-line clinicians and medical researchers, including databases, featured articles and expert searches.
- American Association of Orthodontics (AAO) COVID-19 Resouce Centre
The AAO is committed to helping orthodontists navigate the impact of COVID-19 with practitioner guidance and relevant resources on matters like PPE, finances, education, staffing and so on
- American Society of Dental Anesthesiologists (ASDA) COVID-19 Pandemic Updates & Resources
ASDA has developed an interim guidance document for dentist anesthesiologist members to safely provide treatment to patients. Links to other relevant resources such as PPE guidance are also provided
- American Association of Endodontists
COVID-19 recommendations, updates and resources from the AAE.
- American Academy of Periodontology
COVID-19 recommendations, updates and resources for periodontal practices.
- American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
AAOMS practice guidance, protocols and resources for members.
- American Association of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) COVID-19 Resouces
Resources from the AAPD for relevant topics such as infection control, practice and staff management, emergency care, office closures/limited services and personal well-being/mental health
- American College of Prosthodontics (ACP) Resouce Center
The ACP has collected resources from reputable agencies and dental organizations to aid members in decision making in these unprecedented times and navigating the COVID-19 pandemic.
- OMA's COVID-19 Tracking the Trackers
Created by the Ontario Medical Association, this page acknowledges the fantastic work done by many organizations and companies in keeping track of government measures in tackling COVID-19. It contains mostly policy trackers.
This information guide and the resources shared here were compiled with help from other medical librarians and library guides, which provided a starting point as well as the inspiration for the development of this guide.
This guide includes selected resources that are licensed by the University of Toronto Libraries or are freely available on the web. While we strive to keep all content current and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability or suitability of information, products, services, or related graphics contained on any of the resources listed. Simply put, advice regarding your care should always include your physician and other qualified health providers. Please contact your dentistry librarians for further assistance.
Last updated: January 2023