Obtaining a Library cards
Anyone with a valid University of Toronto library card (TCard) can borrow items from the Dentistry Library. If you are interested in purchasing a card, visit the University of Toronto Libraries (U of T Libraries) page.
Please check the UofT Libraries website under fines for more details.
Journals and Course Reserves cannot be renewed.
Regular circulating books can be renewed up to three times, as long as no one else has placed a hold on the item.
You can renew items:
Drop box (outside the library)
When the Dentistry Library is closed but the building is open (i.e., in the mornings prior to 8:30 a.m.) please place books in the drop box located outside the library. Note that the drop box is not accessible when the building is closed (i.e., after 6 p.m. on weekdays, or anytime on weekends and holidays), unless you have a building access card. Do not leave items in the drop box when the library is open.
Please read the Course Reserve policy.
If a book or journal that you would like to borrow is currently on loan, you can place a hold on it. The current borrower will not be able to renew the item. When the item is returned, you will receive an email prompting you to pick up the item. Please ensure that the correct email address is in our system, by logging in to my.account.
There are three ways to place a hold:
- In person, by coming to the Dentistry Library (or a circulation desk in another U of T library).
- By telephone, using the U of T Libraries 'First Stop Telephone Service': (416) 978-8450.
- Find the item in the catalogue
- Click on Options
- Choose "request" and follow the instructions
You can use "my.account" to review your information via the Web and to renew your loans. You can change your PIN (initially you are assigned a PIN which is the last four digits of your student number or staff number, but you can change this to something more secret).
Materials which cannot be borrowed
The following items are noncirculating (i.e., they can be used in the library only):
- items marked "reference"
- rare books
- vertical files
Phone and Tablet chargers are available for loan at the Service Desk. Please note that these are restricted to Dentistry students, faculty and staff with a valid TCard. They can be borrowed for a 3-hour period. If they are signed out less than three hours before the library closes, they are due back at 15 minutes before closing time. For example, if closing time is at 8:30 pm and they are signed out at 7:00 pm, they will be due back at the desk at 8:15 pm. This provides enough time for our staff to store the item safely with the other equipment before closing time. Fines are 50 cents per hour.
The following items are available:
- Fone Saver: this is a portable charger with both mini-USB and lightning attachments
- PrimeCables 2.4 Dual USB Smart Wall Charger: this is a portable charger with two USBs compatible with most smart phones and tablets
- RavPower Bolt 4-Port Smart Wall Charger
- PrimeCables Lightning Cable: this is compatible with iPod, iPhone and iPad
- PrimeCables Hi-Speed Micro USB 2.0 Charging/Sync Cable with Nylon Braided Protection: this is compatible with most smart phones
- Digital Daffodil TC03: variety of smart phone and mobile devices
- MacBook Pro 85W power cord
- MacBook Air 45W power cord
- PC Laptops (various types)
- Microsoft Surface power cord
To Dentistry Library currently has one iPad Pro available to borrow on a 4-hour loan. Please read the Circulation Policy carefully if you are interested in borrowing it. Only those with an active TCard may borrow the iPad, only after signing a special agreement available at the Service Desk. The following collection related apps are installed on the iPad and available to use: